Bill Ackman is an American billionaire Investor, hedge fund manager and Philanthropist, he is the founder and Chief executive officer of Pershing Square Capital Management, a hedge fund company. He is known for his activist investing and Philanthropist works.
Bill Ackman Bio, Net Worth, Age, Twitter & More
|Birthplace||Chappaqua, New York, U.S|
|Date of birth||May 11, 1966|
|Height||6 feet and 2 inches (188 cm)|
|Age||57 (as of 2023)|
|College||Harvard College (B.A. in social studies, 1988)|
Harvard Business School (M.B.A in 1992)
|Educational Qualifications||B.A in social studies|
|Documentry||Betting on Zero|
Pershing Square Capital Management
|Net worth||$3.4 billion (as of June, 2023)|
|Social media accounts||Website|
Bill Ackman Wife, Parents and Family
|Father||Lawrence David Ackman|
|Mother||Ronnie I. (née Posner)|
|Wife||Karen Ann Herskovitz (1994-2018)|
Neri Oxman (2019 – Present)
|No of Children||4|
Bill Ackman Career
- Gotham Partners – In 1992, after completing his MBA, Bill Ackman started an investment firm named Gotham Partners with David P. Berkowitz.
- Pershing Square Capital Management – In 2004 with Leucadia National
Bill Ackman Investing Style
He is an activist investor who takes a large position in the companies and influences their management for adequate changes in the company. He researched undervalued, a good potential stock which is unable to perform due to some management problems, after identifying he takes a substantial position in it and tries to solve the problem. Although he is most famous for his activist investing he also follows traditional methods of investing like value investing.
In 2012, he issued a research report on Herbalife, calling it a pyramid scheme and having a multilevel marketing business model. He shorted its share causing a significant drop in its share price. After this report, billionaire investor Carl Icahn challenged Bill’s comment in public on national TV after that Carl also bought Herbalife shares.
Bill Ackman Portfolio
|Brookfield Asset Management (BAM)||16.1%|
|Restaurant Brands International (QSR)||15.4%|
|Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG)||13.6%|
|Lowe’s Companies (LOW)||11.4%|
|Hilton Worldwide Holdings (HLT)||11.2%|
|Canadian National Railway (CNI)||9.7%|
|Starbucks Corporation (SBUX)||8.4%|
|The Home Depot (HD)||7.7%|
|Brookfield Renewable Partners (BEP)||7.0%|
|Brookfield Infrastructure Partners (BIP)||6.7%|
Ackman co-founded The Pershing Square Foundation in 2010 with the vision of supporting education, healthcare and poverty relief initiatives. The foundation has donated over $1 Billion to date by funding various projects like:
- The Pershing Square Foundation Scholars Program, which provides scholarships to students from low-income families who attend college.
- The Pershing Square Foundation Health Initiative supports research into new treatments for diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s.
- The Pershing Square Foundation Poverty Relief Initiative provides financial assistance to families in need.
He is also the founding member of the Giving Pledge, a Pledge by individuals to donate the majority of their wealth to charity. Ackman has pledged to donate half of his wealth during his lifetime.
Awards won by Bill Ackman
- “100 Most Influential People in the World” by Time magazine, 2010
- Ranked #1 on the Forbes Midas List, which recognizes the top 50 investors in the world, 2010.
- The Wall Street Journal Alpha Award for “Best Investor.”, 2011
- CFA Institute Award for Excellence in Responsible Investing, 2018
- The Robin Hood Foundation Award for Excellence in Philanthropic Leadership, 2021
Also Read: Lori Greiner: Bio, Husband, Age, Net worth
Bill Ackman Book Recommendations
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham and David Dodd
- You Can Be a Stock Market Genius by Joel Greenblatt
- Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman
- The Essays of Warren Buffett by Warren Buffett and Lawrence Cunningham
Bill Ackman Quotes
- “Great investments are made by understanding the upside, not the downside.”
- “If you find a business you understand, a management team you trust, and a valuation that makes sense, don’t worry about the market.”
- “The best way to mitigate risk is through fundamental research. The more you know about a company, the more you can reduce risk.”
- “Investing is a marathon, not a sprint. It requires patience, discipline, and a long-term perspective.”
- “The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything but the value of nothing.”
- “In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.”
- “Investing is an art, not a science, and people who’ve been trained to rigidly quantify everything have a big disadvantage.”
Less Known Facts about Bill Ackman
- During high school, he started a company called “Ackman Brothers & Singers” which sold the window-washing service to the house owners.
- He also has a business selling ice cream outside his family apartment.
- He is a fantastic tennis player in his youth, he won the ‘National Junior Tennis Championship’ in the United States in the under-18 categories.
- His activism against Herbalife leads to the creation of a documentary film titled “Betting on Zero”.
- He is a poker enthusiast and enjoys playing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Bill Ackman investing in?
As of March 31, 2023, his top 5 investments are in Brookfield Asset Management (BAM), Restaurant Brands International (QSR), Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), Lowe’s Companies (LOW), Hilton Worldwide Holdings (HLT).
Where did Bill Ackman start his career?
He started his career by founding Gotham Partners in 1992, after completing his MBA. (By the way, he started doing business long ago during high school by founding ‘Ackman Brothers & Singers’.
Does Bill Ackman own crypto?
Yes, He has invested in several crypto projects but his investment in cryptos is less than 2% of his total assets.