Carl Icahn is an American billionaire, businessman, investor, author and wealth builder known for his aggressive investment strategies. He is one of the first activist shareholder (i.e. who uses an equity stake in a public company to put pressure on the management). His investment style mainly focuses on identifying and purchasing shares of undervalued companies and making significant returns. Although he is a controversial figure but also one of the most successful investors in history.
Carl Icahn Bio, Height, Net worth, Religion
|Birthplace||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Residence||Indian Creek, Florida|
|Date of birth||Feb 16, 1936 (age 87 as of 2023)|
|School||Far Rockaway High School|
|College||Princeton University (A.B. in philosophy in 1957)|
|Educational qualification||Drop Out, New York University School of Medicine|
Bachelor of Arts/Science, Princeton University
|Net worth||$17.5 billion (2023)|
|Documentary||Icahn: The Restless Billionaire|
Carl Icahn Wife, Children & Family
|Wife(s)||Liba Trejbal (1979-1993)|
Gail Golden (1999 – present)
Awards won by Carl Icahn
- Golden Plate Award of the American Academy of Achievement (1984)
- Founders Award & 1990 Man of the Year Award by Starlight Foundation
- Guardian Angel 2001 Man of the Year
- Honoured by the Center for Educational Innovation – Public Education Association for his work with charter schools. (2004)
- Honoured with the 100 Women in Hedge Funds Affecting Change Award for his outstanding contributions to improving education. (2006)
Carl Icahn Portfolio (as of March 31, 2023)
- Icahn Enterprises LP (IEP): 70.43%
- CVR Energy Inc. (CVI): 10.60%
- FirstEnergy Corp. (FE): 3.45%
- Occidental Petroleum Corp. (OXY.WS): 3.07%
- Southwest Gas Holdings Inc. (SWX): 2.98%
Carl Icahn Book Recommendations
- Hopping Over The Rabbit Hole by Anthony Scaramucci
- Capital In The 21st Century by Thomas Piketty
- The Humane Economy by Wayne Pacelle
Carl Icahn Quotes
- “Some people get rich studying artificial intelligence. Me, I make money studying natural stupidity”
- “In life and business, there are two cardinal sins: The first is to act precipitously without thought and the second is to not act at all.”
- “The real money in investing will have to be made — as most of it has been in the past — not out of buying and selling, but out of owning and holding securities, receiving interest and dividends, and benefiting from their long-term increase in value.”
- “I look at businesses as businesses, and the most important thing is to make sure you have the right people running them.”
- “Activism is not a dirty word. It’s just another word for democracy in action.”
- “A lot of people die fighting tyranny. The least I can do is vote against it.”
Also Read: Mark Cuban Wife, Bio, Height, Net Worth 2023
Less known facts
- He began his career as a stockbroker at Dreyfus & Co. in 1961.
- He is a member of the board of directors of several companies, including Apple, Netflix, and Herbalife.
- He is a college dropout from the New York University School of Medicine.
- He is known for the “Icahn lift” phenomenon
- In his senior year at Princeton, Icahn received the McCosh Prize for the finest thesis written by a student in the philosophy department.
- In May 2023, Hindenburg Research published a report on Ichan Enterprise claiming the company is overvalued due to paying large dividends to the investors using investments from new investors. They also claim that Ichan took out loans against the majority of his holdings. On the day of the release of this report, its share price dropped by 20%.