Ray Dalio is an American billionaire investor, hedge fund manager, and philanthropist. He is the founder of Bridgewater Associates, one of the biggest hedge funds in the world, as well as its co-chairman and former co-chief investment officer. Dalio is renowned for his original investment philosophies and his prosperous history in the financial sector.
Ray Dalio Bio, Net Worth, Age, Height & more
|Full Name||Raymond Thomas Dalio|
|Birthplace||Jackson Heights, Queens, New York City, USA|
|Date of birth||August 8, 1949|
|Height||5 feet and 8 inches (173 cm)|
|Age||73 (as of 2023)|
|College||Long Island University |
Harvard Business School
|Educational Qualifications||Master of Business Administration|
Bachelor of Arts/Science
|Occupation(s)||Hedge fund manager|
|Net worth||$19.1 Billion (as of Jun 2023)|
|Social media accounts||Instagram|
Ray Dalio Wife, Children & Family
|Children||Devon Dalio (1978-2020)|
Paul Dalio (born 1979)
Mark Dalio (born 1981)
Matt Dalio (born 1984)
Ray Dalio Portfolio
- iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (IEMG) 5.32%
- iShares Core S&P 500 ETF (IVV) 4.59%
- The Procter & Gamble Company (PG) 4.49%
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) 3.39%
- PepsiCo, Inc. (PEP) 3.12%
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO) 3.08%
- McDonald’s Corporation (MCD) 2.98%
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST) 2.89%
- Walmart Inc. (WMT) 2.88%
Awards Won By Ray Dalio
- Golden Plate Award of the American Academy of Achievement (2012)
- Outstanding Hedge Fund Manager of the Year (2013, 2014, and 2015) by Institutional Investor
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute (2017)
- Public Intellectual of the Year from Foreign Policy magazine (2017)
- Time magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world (2012 and 2014)
Ray Dalio Books
- Principles: Life and Work (2017)
- Principles for Dealing with the Changing World Order: Why Nations Succeed and Fail (2021)
- Principles for Success (2019)
- A Template for Understanding Big Debt Crises (2018)
- Principles: Your Guided Journal (2022)
Ray Dalio Book Recommendations
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle
Ray Dalio Quotes
- “The only way to do great work is to love what you do.”
- “The big question is whether you are adaptable to the changes that are happening in the world.”
- “The biggest risk is not taking any risk. In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only way you’re going to succeed is if you embrace change.”
- “You don’t achieve happiness by getting rid of your problems – you achieve it by learning from them.”
- “The future is not an inheritance, it is an opportunity and an obligation.”
- “The biggest mistake people make is thinking they have to know it all. The truth is, nobody knows everything.”
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
- “The more you learn, the more you realize you don’t know.”
Principles of Ray Dalio
- Be radical open-minded
- Understand that people are wired very differently
- Learn how to make decisions effectively
- Systemize your decision-making
- Embrace reality and deal with it
- Constantly think about how to produce leverage
Less known facts
- He is a big fan of the Grateful Dead. He even named his hedge fund after one of their songs, “Bridgewater.”
- In his high school years, he started a business selling caddie services to golfers and also started an investment advisory firm in his apartment called Bridgewater Pure Alpha.
- Dalio has been practising Transcendental Meditation (TM) for over 40 years.
- He has a keen interest in ocean exploration and has founded the OceanX initiative, which focuses on exploring and understanding the world’s oceans through advanced technology and scientific research
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Ray Dalio better than Warren Buffett?
Both of them are two of the most successful investor in the world. Both of them had outperformed S&P 500 for years. It is difficult to say who is better investor as they have different style of investment, Ray Dalio has a diversified, all weather portfolio with very low risk whereas Warren Buffett is a value investor with high risk and concentrated portfolio.
Is Ray Dalio a liberal?
Ray Dalio has not publicly stated his political affiliation but is centrist or independent as per his statement.
Is Ray Dalio a religious?
Ray Dalio is not religious in the traditional sense, as he doesn’t identify himself with any particular religion, and he doesn’t attend any religious functions, but he believes in spirituality and meditation.
What is Ray Dalio famous for?
Ray Dalio is mainly famous for founding Bridgewater Associates, the world’s largest hedge fund and writing the book Principles: Life and Work, a self-help book that outlines Dalio’s philosophy on life and business.
Who owns the biggest hedge fund?
The biggest hedge in the world is Bridgewater Associates, which is owned by Ray Dalio. Bridgewater Associates has over $126 billion in assets under management (AUM)